Friday, April 4, 2008

April Fool's

Three years ago i pulled a prank on Kevin McKay for April Fool's day. This was a really fun time. It all started when i read about a prank that the BBC had done in 1976. They announced that all the planets were aligning for approximately 13-minute window. And that during this window scientists were reporting that it would be possible for us to feel a slight change in the gravitational pull for a few moments. Not enough of a change to cause damage, but one that we could feel.

I decided to tell someone about this and Kevin was the first one. In the process of telling him, i got the impression that he thought i was saying this was really going to happen. So i just went with it. I acted as thought this was supposed to happen some time between 11:45am - 12:00pm on Friday (which of course was April 1st). He was excited and had a great idea. He looked and me and said, "Maybe i could dunk! I have always wanted to and i can come fairly close, but maybe this is my chance." I thought sure, why not let's see where this might go. He then suggested that we get the whole thing on video and again i thought that it was a great idea!

We did have a minor setback when i realized that i had a prior commitment during that time. So I called Kevin and told him that i was mistake about the tim - it was actually going to happen between 7:47am-8:00am (a much more convenient time for myself). He was so excited about the prospect of being able to dance that he easily accepted the change. We decided the easiest place was West High School gym (due to his connection with the basketball team).

The morning of the 1st i started to get scared. I was sure that he would have heard it was April Fools Day somewhere (e.g. radio) and turn and pull another prank on me. I got to the gym with the camera and to my shock and surprise, he had told several students at West about it and they were all gathered together ready to try to dunk as well.

Here is the video:



my favorite parts are when he is holding the ball out in the air waiting for a sign for the loss of gravity and when he says that he thinks that we might have missed it because he thinks it might have felt it on the way over.

fun times,
-js

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Seriously, no comments? This is funny stuff! Especially the part where you said that Kevin hopes to be able to "dance" and not dunk. ha ha