Thursday, April 3, 2008

Back in Black

well actually i am not wearing any black today, but anyways. I am going to try and start putting out some of my thoughts. this is just a place for writing whatever i am thinking. or at least whatever i want you think that i am thinking. woo hoo. now we are getting deep. here is my post for today....

I was reading The Law of Rewards (check out the link over there on the right) and the following stuck out to me:

Luke 16:10 ¶ “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.

God continually tests us in little things. (If a child can't be trusted to spend his father's money and return the change, neither can he be trusted to stay overnight alone at a friend’s house.)
This invalidates all of our “if onlys,” such as, “If only I had a million dollars, then i’d give it to my church or missions.” If I'm dishonest or selfish in my use of a few dollars, I would be dishonest or selfish in my use of a million dollars. The issue is not what i would do with a million dollars if i had it, but what i am doing with the ten thousand, one thousand, one hundred, or ten dollars, i do have. If we are not being faithful with what God has entrusted to us, why should he entrust us with any more?
This thought raises a sobering question: What opportunities are we currently missing because we've failed to use our money and our lives wisely in light of eternity?

After discussing this quote with a friend this morning - it got me thinking. I think we might miss a lot that God has in store for us in this regard.

And then something else happened...I was driving to work about 8:25am and i saw a kid walking down the road. My first thought was "I wonder if he needs help? Does he need a ride? School starts in 5 minutes. He wont make it at the rate that he is walking now. should i stop?" I determined that he was pleased with himself, walking very calmly and listening to his iPod. Then it hit me that i was carrying with me a rather weighty assumption. I was assuming that he was trying to get to school. This may not seem like a big deal to most people, especially here in the States. He looked about 15 or 16, and we all know those crazy youths should be in school. But with all i have been learning about Haiti, this is truly amazing. We take so much for granted. Education (regardless of what you think of our system) is a huge advantage. There are countless children in Haiti that everyday have unrealized dreams for a chance to one day go to school.

And then everything connected...While we might argue that we have been given only a little, more than 90% of the world would see us as extremely rich. Our calling to be faithful with the "little" that we have is huge.

-js

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I would like to argue that if you write "whatever [you] want [us] to think [you] are thinking," you will, in fact, be thinking that very thing as you write it. Thus, what you want us to think you are thinking, you will actually be thinking.

Welcome to blogging.

Jonathan Scoonover said...

well for the exact moment that i type it and probably the moments at least just before i type it, i do concede that is what is on my mind and therefore it is what also i am at that time thinking about.

However what i meant is that i could type words that make you think that i think (maybe a better word is believe) one thing, when in fact in general i am thinking/believing something totally different.

But hopefully i wont do that anyway, because...well...its sin!